Tuesday, December 29, 2009



This is another book I've recently purchased, and it's exquisite. The author, Di van Niekerk, took five pictures (first published in 1923) by the artist Cicely Mary Barker and created ribbon embroidery and stumpwork pictures from them.

The pictures are available in the book to be copied, and includes stitch diagrams and complete descriptions of how to do duplicate her work, but the book is useful for creating your own pictures as well. I don't know how I'm going to use this book yet, but as a book lover, I just enjoy looking at it. Well worth being in my "collection."

Below is a sample of one of the full-size illustrations of her rendition of the fairy pictures, designed to be copied and used as a pattern. This one's my favorite.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm thinking that your attraction to this book also has something to do with your love of gardening and the fact that the fairies look like innocent children. Even non-stitchers like me can appreciate these fanciful illustrations. Thanks for posting this.

Cathy said...

Hi Yvonne, I have and love this book, too. It's given me lots of inspiration. In fact, last summer we started a Flower Fairies round robin on the CQInternational group, and there has been some amazing work done in that RR. If you're ever in need of a Flower Fairy silk print, get in touch with me! Hugs, Cathy

Toyin O. said...

Sounds like great books.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com/